Kiting is a strategic maneuver in gaming, particularly in the context of MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games), MOBAs (Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas), and other action games. The term “kiting” is derived from the way a person might fly a kite—pulling it along while maintaining a safe distance. In gaming, this refers to the act of engaging and damaging enemies while avoiding or minimizing damage in return.
Origins of the Term
The origins of the term “kiting” can be traced back to the early days of MMORPGs, with the popular game EverQuest (1999) often cited as the first notable example. Players would use ranged attacks to pull aggressive enemies, or “mobs,” away from their spawn points, and then guide them around the game world while dealing damage.
There are various techniques that players can use to kite enemies effectively. Some of these techniques include:
- Hit-and-Run: The player alternates between attacking the enemy and retreating to a safer distance before the enemy can retaliate.
- Crowd Control: The player employs abilities that slow, stun, or immobilize the enemy, making it easier to maintain distance and avoid damage.
- Terrain Utilization: The player takes advantage of the environment, such as obstacles or high ground, to hinder the enemy’s movement and create distance.
- Pet Kiting: The player uses a summoned creature or ally to engage the enemy, allowing the player to focus on dealing damage from a safe distance.
Benefits of Kiting
Kiting offers several benefits to players, including:
- Reducing damage taken, as players can avoid or minimize enemy attacks.
- Controlling the pace of combat, allowing for more strategic gameplay.
- Exploiting enemy weaknesses, such as slow movement speed or limited ranged abilities.
- Preserving resources like health and mana, which can be crucial in difficult encounters.
Kiting in eSports
In competitive gaming and eSports, kiting is a vital skill for players. Top-tier players often demonstrate exceptional kiting abilities, allowing them to outmaneuver opponents and secure victories. Successful kiting can create opportunities for team plays, turn the tide in team fights, and contribute to a team’s overall success.